Discover the Persist Advantage
a highly stable and pure form of captured carbon helping soil to hold water and nutrients up to 6x longer
Ultra-porous Persist™ Biochar provides superior performance
Our proprietary manufacturing process creates an extremely porous biochar with an intricate network of microscopic cavities and channels. The result is a massive surface area-to-volume ratio, which provides superior water holding capacity, nutrient binding, and overall microbial benefits. The porosity of Persist biochar is significantly greater than most other products on the market.
Just as the “nooks and crannies” of a coral reef harbor a wide variety of sea life, the microscopic pores of biochar provide home for an abundance of microorganisms, which are critical for long-term soil and plant health.
In addition to holding water in soil up to six times longer, Persist™ biochar also enhances the colonization of beneficial microorganisms in soil, which can help you use less fertilizer overall.
Persist™ Biochar Advantages
- Retains water in soil 6x longer than soil without biochar.
- Produced from 100% California-grown pistachio shells — a waste product otherwise destined for the landfill.
- Carbon content greater than 90%, which is significantly higher than most other brands of biochar.
- Higher porosity and surface area-to-volume ratio compared to other biochars on the market.
- Low ash and VOC content.
- Consistent particle size distribution.
- Available in a 3-quart bag, 1.5 cubic foot bag, and 2.0 cubic yard supersack.
- Persist can be manufactured with alternate feedstocks, specific particle sizes, and other custom requirements.
CAUTION: Not all biochars are the same. Biochar characteristics, including carbon and ash content, should be verified with a lab analysis.
Solutions for an assortment of challenges
Biochar is helping to reverse climate change. If we stop fossil fuel emissions tomorrow, global temperatures will still rise significantly. There’s simply too much CO2 in atmosphere. Recent studies suggest up to 10 gigatons globally must be sequestered by 2050 to prevent catastrophic climate impact. Climate experts estimate that biochar alone could address as much as 40% of the needed carbon removal, while simultaneously mitigating other environmental issues.
Filtering runoff with captured carbon. From filtering runoff and leachate to binding toxins, VGrid’s highly porous Persist biochar is more efficient at filtering contaminants than other options. When used in a bioswale, as landfill cover, or for site remediation, Persist™ will effectively bind and hold pollutants, while also sequestering atmospheric carbon in the soil.
Lower municipal costs while improving the environment. Cities, towns, and municipalities of all sizes can demonstrate leadership in combating climate change, while also lowering watering expense, improving soil health, and reducing their community’s green waste. Transportation authorities are even discovering advantages of including biochar within their road salt mix and aggregates.
Composting is a fantastic use for organic waste … Persist™ biochar and Persist™ PAF makes it better!
- Accelerates the composting process
- Increases aeration
- Increases microbial action
- Reduces leaching
- Reduces odors
- Reduced harmful gas emissions
- Reduces Nitrogen (N) loss
- Improves humic content
- Reduces ‘clumping’ in compost pile
- Enhances compost effectiveness and plant yields
Designed for a variety of applications
Farming & Horiculture
The growing need for improved water management is one of the prime benefits seen in vineyards. Most of the benefits of biochar are derived from its exceptional porosity and surface area, which include:
- Increased water retention
- Increased soil carbon
- Nutrient release leveling
- Soil structure management
- Soil biota improvement
- Soil contamination mitigation
- Reduced soil compaction
The result is increased yields, with growers seeing payback in 2-3 harvests, with no negative impact on grape characteristics.
The Persist™ Biochar Difference
Persist biochar is manufactured in a high-temperature gasification process that maximizes the removal of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from the biomass. This proprietary process also yields a biochar with greater than 90% fixed carbon content, which is significantly higher than most other brands of biochar. Persist has low ash content, consistent particle size distribution, and is made from 100% California-grown waste pistachio shells, which would otherwise go to the landfill.
Persist’s proprietary high-temperature production process also creates an extremely porous biochar with an intricate network of microscopic pores, cavities, and channels. The result is a massive “surface area-to-volume” ratio, which maximizes the water holding capacity and nutrient binding capabilities. One ounce of Persist™ in fact has a surface area equal to 1-1/2 football fields. Persist’s surface area of 200-300 m2/g compares to other biochar at <20 m2/g.
Biochar is an effective method for capturing carbon that would otherwise enter the atmosphere. But how much carbon is captured and for how long is not the same for all biochar. Persist is over 90% fixed carbon, meaning that more carbon is captured per pound compared to others. Additionally, if the oxygen-to-carbon (O:C) ratio of biochar is less than 0.2, then the half-life is greater than 1,000 years*. With an O:C ratio of 0.05, Persist provides significantly longer sequestration.
* Kurt A Spokas (2010) Review of the stability of biochar in soils: predictability of O:C molar ratios, Carbon Management, 1:2, 289-303, DOI: 10.4155/cmt.10.32
Get to know Persist™ PAF liquid plant enhancer
Recharge your plants and soil with a synergistic mix of beneficial organic compounds and natural acids.
- Contains signaling compounds that kickstart germination.
- Nurtures healthy microbes in soil and compost.
- Boosts plants’ ability to uptake nutrients, particularly iron.
- Helps to create healthier leaves and especially fruit skins.
- May reduce dependency on chemical fertilizers.
- Lowers the alkalinity in soil.
- Excellent source of beneficial phenols and acetic acid.
All-natural and certified by Puro.earth as a carbon-negative product.
Persist™ Premium Biochar is a USDA Certified Biobased Product.
OMRI Listed® for use in certified organic production.